Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Well.....

Well, I feel like I should be writing something here.

I guess I will ramble on about Vinny and his homework. This kid is amazing, it just stinks that he is no 5 until December, he can't start Kindergarten until next year. But this kid is on fire! He is flying through home-school Kindergarten level assignments, he is doing reading, writing, math (basic addition and subtraction IN HIS HEAD!) Yesterday we spent an hour on a work book about his name, address, family, etc.

He is just doing so well, and that hour? I had to stop him, he wanted to keep going but needed to take nap. It's just crazy. I am starting to do a lesson a day, quiz him randomly, and he seems to be loving it.

He read the first few pages of a simple book at the library yesterday. He is sounding out words with minimal help. I just don't want this love of learning to stagnate, which I am very sure will happen if I wait until next year. Most certainly will happen if he goes into the public school system as it stands now.

It's hard, as my mom points out, I am no teacher. I have no formal training, but it seems like those with the training are being hog tied by government and union garbage. It seems like Oregon at least, is more worried about numbers moving forward than they are about what those kids know or how they will be in the world when they leave.

So if anyone has advice or tools they are willing to share, please let me know!

No comments: