Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Prayer

First off, I definitely have a testimony of the power of prayer. I have prayed many times and had my prayers answered in ways I never imagined, but they did exactly what I needed. But you have to do something, not just pray.

I am so upset by the deaths of children this past year who's families just prayed to cure them from minor illness. One 15 month old girl only needed some antibiotics for pneumonia but she is now dead. Another just with childhood diabetes and I know from family and friends that it is treatable, and you still live a long and happy life.

Christ did not just pray, he acted. The apostles and prophets prayed for guidance, then acted on what the Lord told them to do. They didn't just pray to be heard, they went out and searched for those who would listen. It reminds me of a story that I know is over used but I love and it really applies.

The Flood Story

A flood threatens a town, forcing everyone to evacuate, But Joe thinks,
"I'm a devout man, God will save me," and stays
put. As the waters rise, Joe's neighbor comes by and says, "Joe come with me, we've got to go." Joe declines,
"I'm a devout man, God will save me."

The waters keep rising, Joe scrambles to his second floor. A firefighter in a rowboat comes by. "Get in the boat or you'll drown," he says. Joe again declines, saying,
"God will save me."

Finally, the flood waters force Joe to his roof. A police helicopter comes by and throws down a rope. "Climb up or you'll drown," the policeman yells. "No, I'm a devout man,
God will save me," Joe replies.

Soon, Joe drowns.
He arrives in heaven and challenges God.
"Why didn't you help me?"

"What do you mean?" God says."I did help. I sent a neighbor, a firefighter and a helicopter."

And that is my little rant.

No comments: