Thursday, May 14, 2015

Something so wonderfully strange.

We had an amazing experience today. Down at the Capitol Mall was “Armed Forces Day”. They had tons of military vehicles even helicopters. The boys got to look at and even hold some of the guns, helmets, packs and a practice grenade.










My Dad was awesome and bought us Micky D's for lunch and went around with us for an hour. And Mom came and met us just in time for the big guns and the fly over. REALLY loud, especially when you are sitting 15-20 feet behind the guns!

But the most amazing moment came towards the end. I had to go move my car and when I got back there was a solider (I did not catch his rank, but I DO know his name, I am not saying it because I don't know if he wants to be publicized, I want to respect his privacy) sitting on one of the vehicles with Vinny. He was chatting with my mom and Vin (and Will when he wasn't being a nut) and from what I heard as I walked up I knew that Vinny had been talking to him about PTSD.

As I came into the convo we found out that the solider was involved with the Albany Veteran's Day Parade every year, and we talked about how both he and his sister have served and are serving.

He then described the patches on his uniform, stating that there are 2 patches you might see on someone who has actually seen action, one means you've been shot AT, the other (he pointed to the one he wore) “Unfortunately means you have been the one shooting” Not said with shame or anything, just the reality that you don't WANT to have to do that.

We talked a little longer and at the end he stopped and said, “You know what?” and he pulled off one patch, handing it to Will. “This is for you.” Then he pulled off the other side (2 patches for Airborne) and put them on Vinny's sleeve. “These are for you.”







I was at a loss for words. My little nut Vinny had managed to connect with that man because he cared. His strange and wonderful hobby of reading National Geographic led to him reading multiple articles about PTSD and soldiers' lives, and his beautifully empathetic spirit let him connect to someone years older and wiser, who has seen and done things I cannot imagine. And I am so very proud of him.

No comments: