Friday, March 15, 2013

Babies, babies, babies!

So many of my friends have just had babies or are pregnant. As a 27 year old Mormon woman you might think this is giving me the baby crazies, but no.

 Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE  babies, as my friend Rachel can attest by my complete willingness to hold and snuggle her little guy, but I am not getting baby hungry.

 When Vinny was born I could still feel a little something missing in my heart. Our family wasn't whole. After Will was born, that went away. We have prayed and considered on and it still isn't there.
 Which is strange for me because I always wanted a girl, but now I have no desire to try for one. I am content in spoiling my nieces and letting them play with my Polly Pockets and Barbie dolls.

So after a lot of thinking and planning we have decided that we have our little family. If that changes down the road, there is always adoption, but now we just don't think there is anyone else waiting to be a Rodgers/Prychun.

 Now why am I bringing this up? It is not to suggested what we are doing is right for everyone, it is not an attack on anyone seeking a large family. I bring it up because I have gotten looks, eye rolls, and "Well, we all make plans.." and that really annoys me.

 Not that anyone who I know reads my blog has been saying anything like this. But I has really gotten under my skin in recent months. People have asked me "When are you having another? Will is already almost 3!" and when I tell them our plans they sigh, one even scoffed like that was a bad choice.

People outside the church often give members grief for having so many kids, and people understandably get upset by it, thinking, "What business is it of theirs if I have 3 kids or 30?" But some of those same people proceed to treat those in the church with smaller families as if they are doing it wrong. Who are you to decide what is right for someone else? You do not receive revelation for anyone's family but your own.


 Anyways, a bit rambly and certainly a ranting post, the point of it all is, church or no church, kids or no kids, 3 or 30, every family is a family and size really doesn't count. What counts is the love and I would add sanity of the members of that family. Love them for who they all are, respect their choice and leave them to their own family plan.

3 comments:

C/K said...

We all do what we think is best for our family. Sometimes our plans change, sometimes they don't. As long as you're doing what you think the Lord wants you to do, that's all you can do. We are having 2 back to back. We get looks and eye rolls too. But that's what we're supposed to do.

Hayley said...

I know, I could never handle kids back to back, but if that is what works for you and hubby, then awesome possum! :)

Kari said...

Amen.